Thursday, October 29, 2020 – 12:00 PM – 4:45 PM (ET)
Friday, October 30, 2020 – 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM (ET)
Please note that this program will be presented over Zoom webinar.
Please see below for this year’s Agenda, list of speakers, and an FAQ.
- Nonprofit/Legal Worker (1 day-October 29, 2020) – $100
- Nonprofit/Legal Worker (1 day-October 30, 2020) – $100
- Nonprofit/Legal Worker (2 days) – $150
- Private Attorney (1 day- October 29, 2020) – $200
- Private Attorney (1 day- October 30, 2020) – $200
- Private Attorney (2 days) – $300
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2020
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm: Introduction to the Categorical Approach (90 minutes of instruction)
Saba Ahmed, Clinical Instructor, Immigration and Human Rights Clinic, University of the District of Columbia David A. Clarke School of Law
Talia Peleg, Associate Professor of Law Immigrant & Non-Citizen Rights Clinic, CUNY School of Law
1:30 pm – 1:45 pm: Break
1:45 pm- 2:45 pm: Overview of Post-Conviction Relief (60 minutes of instruction)
Ryan Muennich, Senior Staff Attorney, Immigrant Defense Project
Matt Vogel, Senior Staff Attorney National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild
2:45 pm – 3:15 pm: Break
3:15 pm – 4:45 pm: Criminal Bars to Asylum and Withholding of Removal (90 minutes of instruction)
Nabilah Siddiquee, Senior Staff Attorney, Immigrant Defense Project
Phil Torrey, Managing Attorney, Director, Harvard Immigration and Refugee Clinical Program and Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School
Cristina Velez, Senior Staff Attorney, National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2020
10:00 am – 10:50 am: Recent Crim-Imm Developments in the Second & Third Circuits (50 minutes of instruction)
Rebecca Hufstader, Staff Attorney, Nationalities Service Center
Leila Kang, Supervising Litigation Attorney, Immigrant Defense Project
10:50 am – 11:00 am: Break
11:00 am – 1:00 pm: Advanced Categorical Approach Issues (90 minutes of instruction)
This session will include a discussion of realistic probability, burden of proof, and controlled substance statutes. Speakers:
Khaled Alrabe, Attorney, National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild
Isaac Wheeler, Immigration Specialist Attorney, Federal Defenders of New York
Jayashri Srikantiah, Director, Immigrants’ Rights Clinic, Stanford Law School
1:00pm – 1:10pm: Break
1:10 pm – 2:00 pm: Brown-bag Sessions
Option 1: Future of Crimm-Imm Litigation in Federal Courts
Nancy Morawetz, Professor of Clinical Law and Co-Director, Immigrant Rights Clinic, New York University School of Law
Andrea Saenz, Attorney-in-Charge, New York Immigrant Family Unity Project, Brooklyn Defender Services
Jessica Rofe, Supervising Attorney, Immigrant Rights Clinic, New York University School of Law
Option 2: NYS Policy Updates
Rosa Cohen-Cruz, Policy Counsel, Immigration Practice, The Bronx Defenders
Jane Shim, Advocacy Staff Attorney, Immigrant Defense Project
Frequently Asked Questions
- Nonprofit/Legal Worker – $100 (one day), $150 (two days)
- Private Attorneys – $200 (one day), $300 (two days)
- Group registrations – please email [email protected] for more information.
- Tuition assistance is available based on financial hardship. Send an email to [email protected] with the reason you are requesting financial aid and proof of income.
- Cancellation & Refund Policy: Registrants must cancel by midnight on 10/25. All cancellations will incur a 5% cancellation fee. If the registrant does not cancel by 10/25, no refunds will be issued.
- Video of the presentation will be made available on request. However, CLE credit is only available for registrants who watch the live webinar.
The New York State Defenders Association [NYSDA] has been certified by the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board as an Accredited Provider of Continuing Legal Education in the State of New York (2019–2022). This transitional/nontransitional program has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the Continuing Legal Education Board for a maximum of 7.0 credit hours in Professional Practice. No CLE credit may be earned for repeat attendance at any accredited CLE activity.
CLE sponsored by:
Immigrant Defense Project, the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild, and the New York State Defenders Association
Please send inquiries about the CLE to [email protected]