IDP’s community defense work is geared toward building the capacity of advocates and directly-impacted individuals to respond to criminal-immigration issues. Working in close partnership with impacted communities to best serve their needs, we provide legal support to community-based organizations to help their base-building efforts and boost the advocacy power of their memberships through community education to achieve fundamental change. We also and design and conduct trainings for advocates and community members on a range of topics, including the workings of the deportation system and recent trends in immigration enforcement.
- A Just Federal Immigration Policy
- Ending Police Collaboration with Mass Deportation Programs: PEP, ICE Out of Rikers, and Ending S-Comm
- Anti-violence Work: Intimate and Domestic Violence Survivors, LGBTQ People, and Sex Workers
- Pardons and Individual Campaign Support
- Family Court: Raising Awareness About Immigration Consequences
- Building Power at the Grassroots