Removal Defense Resources for Criminal-Immigration Cases
- Removal Defense Checklist in Criminal Charge Cases
- Immigration Consequences of Crimes Summary Checklist
- “Particularly Serious Crime” Bars on Asylum and Withholding of Removal: Legal Standards and Sample Case Determinations
This chart will aid in the legal representation of immigrants in criminal and removal proceedings. Specifically, this chart will help attorneys evaluate whether a criminal conviction constitutes a “particularly serious crime” barring asylum or withholding of removal.
- Fighting Aggravated Felony Charges Resource
Immigrant Defense Project’s “Fighting Aggravated Felony Charges” resource has been revised and is now available with updates current as of January 2017. The digital, subscription-based resource provides access to the most recent information available about legal arguments and supporting case law to challenge aggravated felony charges in removal, asylum/withholding, naturalization, and other immigration proceedings, as well as in federal criminal proceedings.
Advisories and Guides for Immigration Lawyers
- Best Practices for Intakes about the Criminal Legal System Contacts
- ICE Courthouse Arrest Intake Questions
- Naturalization Considerations for People with Prior Law Enforcement Contacts
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get proof of an “undocketed arrest” in NYC?
- How can I find my criminal defense attorney in NYC?/ Cómo encontrar a tu defensor criminal en la Ciudad de Nueva York
- What should I know about applying for immigration benefits after my client’s criminal case was dismissed?
Quick Reference Charts for Immigration Consequences of Criminal Offenses
These charts list common criminal offenses, and whether they might trigger an immigration ground of removability (and thereby subject an immigrant to deportation).
- New York (updated September 2017)
This digital, subscription-based chart provides access to newly updated information about the possible immigration consequences of specific, commonly charged New York offenses