For years, IDP has been tracking, requesting information and training community members on immigration (ICE*) raids and arrests. To challenge the practice of ICE raids, communities must understand ICE tactics, help those at risk of deportation prepare, and strategize about ways to fight back through organizing and/or in the courts.
* ICE, or Immigration and Customs Enforcement, is the federal agency responsible for arresting, detaining and deporting immigrants.
Learn about ICE (immigration) raids
- Toolkit by IDP and the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR)
- Learn about our country’s massive detention and deportation system, specific ICE raid tactics, and how communities can prepare to challenge ICE raids. (Ver la versión en español aqui)
- Booklet detailing trends in enforcement and your rights
- Helpful details for advocates preparing to give community Know Your Rights trainings. (Also available in Spanish)
- ICE’s own training and guidance to agents on how to conduct home raids.
- IDP received these documents as part of an ongoing Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request being litigated by CCR.
- See how and where ICE has been conducting raids in New York City on IDP’s interactive raids map. (Coming soon!)
Defend your community against ICE raids
- Review and share Know Your Rights materials for encounters with ICE (flyers, posters and videos).
- Help community members at risk of deportation prepare emergency plans.
- Consider other community responses to ICE raids.
- Learn about efforts to get ICE out of courthouses.
Prepare to train community members on encounters with ICE
- If you haven’t already, learn about ICE raids and tactics. (see above)
- Distribute Know Your Rights materials for community members on their rights during encounters with ICE.
- Watch our Train the Trainers video – Know Your Rights: ICE in the community.
- Watch our webinar, co-hosted with WITNESS, about the right to film ICE and documenting ICE abuses and raids. Use the free slides on filming ICE in your own presentations.